Each McNair Scholar has personal advising sessions where goals are set and individual plans developed for achieving goals, these are called Individual Development Plan’s (IDP’s). In addition, Scholars attend weekly seminars on negotiating the graduate school process including selecting a graduate school, writing the personal statement, and obtaining financial aid. Non-academic variables, library methodology, and making effective research presentations are among the subjects covered in these seminars.
Other program features include:
* A course in research methods and proposal writing
* Orientation visits to research facilities and graduate school
* Faculty mentoring
* Preparation for graduate school entrance examinations
* Workshops for professionalization
* Opportunity to compete for the Summer Research Institute
* The McNair Messenger, program newsletter
* Annual research conferences
* Cultural enrichment activities
* “McNair Moments” – first-hand exposure to role models who have earned a Ph.D.
* Interactions with McNair alumni who have graduate school experience